L/6808 Dvr. David Wishart (1881 – )

Tree: WIS0130

David Wishart was the third of ten children of Andrew Wishart, a merchant seaman from Glasgow, and his wife, Sarah Devlin. He had three brothers and six sisters and was born on 19 December 1880 at 111 Finneston Street in the Barony District of Glasgow. By 1891 the family had moved to a stone tenement at 17 Dover Street and by 1901 David had found employment as a slater, which was a profession he followed for the rest of his life. Following Andrew’s death in 1912, Sarah went to live at a similar property on Church Street in Partick.

On 19 March 1915, David enlisted in the army at Glasgow and joined the Royal Field Artillery. He was posted to ‘B’ Battery in the 159th Brigade on 1 April and assigned the role of battery driver. The 159th had been raised in the city and formed part of the 35th Division. After training in England, the brigade moved to France at the start of February 1916 and left for Le Havre on the 1st, after which they concentrated south of St. Omer at Witternesse. The guns of the 159th were brought into action for the first time on 14 March at Fosse Chateau and were based on the Somme near Sailly-le-Sec at the end of the month. During the Battle of the Somme, which began on 1 July, the brigade was action at Bazentin Ridge, Arrow Head Copse, Maltz Horn Farm and Falefont Farm.

In 1917 David was likely involved in the pursuit to the Hindenberg Line and at Passchendaele. Later in the year, on 8 December while driving out onto an uneven road towards billets, the general service wagon he was pulling fell of its seat and ended up in a ditch. This, in turn, threw David from his mount in the same direction and he received contusions to his ribs, but was able to return to his unit by the start of 1918.

David remained in France until 19 September 1918 when he was given two-weeks leave – after which he returned to the front and served overseas until 30 January 1919. He would have seen further action at the First Battle of Bapaume (which was part of the German Spring Offensive) in March and then again during various battles during the Final Advance into Flanders. He ended his military career as part of C/275 Battery and was eventually demobilised on 31 March 1920.

After the war, David returned to life at 6 Church Street where he was found dead by his younger sister Margaret on 23 November 1937.

Are you related to, or think you have further details about David?

If so then I’d love to hear from you. Please click the link below or send an email to mail (at) wishart1418.org. Thank you.