2379903 Pte. Edgar Franklin Wolsley Wishart (1891 – 1957)

Tree: WIS0057

Edgar Franklin Wolsley Wishart (known as Ted) was born on 4 February 1891 in Elm River, Manitoba. He was the third of seven children of Peter Henry Wishart, a farmer from St. Paul near Winnipeg, and his wife, Harriet Spence. Young Edgar grew up in the Portage la Prairie district and when old enough, joined his father working on a farm. Sometime after 1912 the family moved to the rural municipality of Ochre River and took up residence near the small community of Makinak, where they were living at the time Edgar enlisted in Winnipeg on 11 January 1918. He joined the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment and was sent to the UK aboard the Missenabie on 24 March – arriving in Glasgow on 3 April and making his way to Dibgate Camp, near Folkestone shortly afterwards.

Dibgate was one of the transit camps for the CEF and Edgar was taken on strength of the 11th Reserve Infantry Battalion (Manitoba.) His training was cut short on 30 June when he was admitted to the Barnwell Military Hospital near Cambridge suffering with gonorrhoea. Barnwell was a major treatment centre for venereal diseases and Edgar was a patient there until 11 October, when he was sent to the Special Hospital at Witley Military Camp in Surrey from where he was discharged back to duty on the 23rd.

On 12 December Egar was sent to Kinmel Park in North Wales for Pioneer duty. While there he was briefly admitted to the 9th Canadian General Hospital for two days on 17 February 1919 and re-admitted two months later on 19 April suffering from urethritis. Ten days later he was transferred to Shorncliffe in Kent and admitted to the General Hospital at Moore Barracks where he received further treatment for gonorrhoea. With the war over, and Edgar’s services no longer required, he eventually made his way back to Canada on 3 July.

After the war, Edgar returned to farm work and married a teacher from Ontario named Mary Ethel Neilson in St Boniface, Manitoba on Christmas Eve 1924. The couple had a son named James and farmed in the Ochre River district until retirement in 1953, after which they moved to the village of Ochre River. Edgar died on 23 October 1957.

Are you related to, or think you have further details about Edgar?

If so then I’d love to hear from you. Please click the link below or send an email to mail (at) wishart1418.org. Thank you.