George Wishart was born on 12 June 1883 in Cramond, Midlothian. He was the fourth of six children of Thomas Wishart, a local dairyman, and his wife (and cousin), Christina Wishart. In 1891 the family were living at Nashville Cottage and by 1901 had moved to Corbie Hill Road in Davidson’s Mains. After leaving school young George began working as a tinsmith’s apprentice and in 1914 was employed by R Robertson & Son of Bathgate where he also lived at 9 Ashbank.
On 11 June 1914, George married the daughter of a groom from East Lothian named Janet Johnston Cowe in Markinch. The couple moved to 3 Atholl Terrace where George was resident when he was called up for service on 26 June 1916. By then he had become a skilled gasfitter and his abilities were deemed suitable for service with the Royal Engineers which additionally meant he may have had a slightly higher rate of pay than the average sapper.
George was posted to France on 19 April 1917 and made his way to the Royal Engineers Base Depot in Rouen. Unfortunately, his service papers were among those badly burnt during the Second World War and so his movements throughout the rest of the year are unclear. It appears he was, at some point, part of the 70th Field Company and had transferred to the 93rd Field Company by the summer of 1918. On 23 July 1918, while engaged in forward work just outside the village of Senlis, George was shot in the chest and evacuated to an unnamed French hospital. He eventually made it back to the UK and was discharged from service on 3 February 1919.
After the war, George and Janet moved to Edinburgh and in 1930 were living at 6 Murieston Terrace in the Newington district of Edinburgh. He died on 14 August 1977, aged 94, and was preceded in death by his wife who passed in 1970.